TV USB Stick

On Jun 22, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Thanks Jarod,
> The question my wife asked was "could we get a portable tv so I wan
> watch tv on the deck".  The deck has AC power, but no cable, but we
> can
> easily see the Needham antenna farm. So, for about $200 I could buy a
> portable (or small screen) digital TV set, or get a USB tuner. The
> UB435Q seems to fit the bill. The only real question is how would the
> reception be using the built-in antenna, but for $30+shipping, it
> appears to be a good deal and has some good reviews. The Hauppauge
> HVR-850 looks good at $60, but it needs an external antenna.

Neither one has a built-in antenna, they both have coax f-type
connectors on the ends of 'em. At least so far as I know... I have an
HVR-950 (pre-Q version, now sold as the 850) and the precursor to the
UB435Q both here in front of me, they both require an external
antenna. However, they both get pretty good reception using a ~$30
amplified antenna out here in Westford, and I believe both sticks come
with a cheapo mast antenna, which actually works surprisingly well out
here, and should work even better at your location...

> I'm doing a
> bit more research, but I might bi\uy one of the units before next
> month's meeting.

Don't expect the UB435Q to Just Work under Linux yet though, support
isn't likely to hit the mainline kernel until probably 2.6.32 at the
current rate of progress...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org