New Laptop questions

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 10:21 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Robert Krawitz <rlk-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > I've had very good luck with Dells (Inspiron 8000, 8200, and
> > 9400/E1705).  They're also usually quite easy to fix or upgrade.
>
> They need to be easy to fix because they need to be fixed quite often.
> The one (and ONLY one) time I've had a Dell in my posession it broke
> approximately once a quarter and needed to go back to get fixed.
>
> My Thinkpads, on the other hand, usually last about 2 years before
> needing a repair.  I have a T23 that I acquired around 2002 that
> just died a couple weeks ago but hasn't needed a repair for about 3.
> My T60 from 2 years ago finally needed a repair a month ago and
> now it's as good as new.
>
> I can't recommend Thinkpads highly enough.

Interesting, I've never even though of Tinkpads... I used one when they
first came out and hated the red nipple mouse button thing in the center
of the keyboard, and apparently have dismissed then from then on. I will
give then a better look now, especially as the NVidia card I had chosen
has no driver, and the HP may have BIOS issues ....