suggestion for USB IR receiver for MythTV?

Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>:

>> Doing this instead of using the Dell Studio Hybrid?
>
> Yeah...
>
>> Any particular reason?
>
> Yes and no... There has historically been an issue with tearing with the
> Intel graphics driver, which hits on the Hybrid. It was at least
> somewhat fixed, but the fix caused other problems, so its been disabled.
> While debugging some kernel mode-setting stuff on my hybrid, I
> temporarily swapped in a box with nVidia graphics using the binary
> nVidia driver. I forgot how damned good it is at video playback. The
> intel driver isn't *BAD*, but I can tell the difference when watching
> video with it vs. watching straight from my cable box, while the
> difference between cable box an nVidia video is pretty much
> indistinguishable. Then throw in the recent VDPAU support (video decode
> offload to the GPU), and nVidia looks even sexier... Plus, I'd like to
> make use of this LCD device, which does integrate quite well with MythTV.

Interesting point.  I guess you can't really get an nVidia graphics
with the D.S.H. can you?  granted, this is only going to be on a 720p
25-30" TV (yet to be acquired), and it's going to be in the guest
room..  So really video output quality isn't necessarily the top-most
of importance.  Firewire access most certainly is important..

Part of this project is to fix my "two cable boxes on one myth backend
cause Firewire bus resets and timeouts in the middle of shows when the
second box starts to record" problem.  I'm also hoping having the boxes
on separate machines will also help fix the "can't open port: -1" problem
that I get periodically..

>> (I'm looking to create a new frontend/backend combo to live in my
>> guest room, so I want something small, sleek, and quiet)
>
> This is the board I wanna get to go w/that case an LCD:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500030
>
> Atom 330, so dual-core x86_64, but still relatively low-power (and
> fanless) and nVidia GeForce 9400M graphics, which means full-fledged
> VDPAU support. Even has both DVI and HDMI out onboard, along with
> digital audio, eSATA, etc. Only down side w/it that I can see is the
> lack of FireWire. Damn, didn't notice that 'til now, that would make
> talking to my cable box less optimal...

Yep...  No F/W would be a problem for me.

> --jarod

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available