Wake-on-lan trigger device for my office PC -- using OpenWRT?

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Brendan
Kidwell<sxfgry902-O/bDAPVd7B0N+BqQ9rBEUg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Tom McLaughlin-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Brendan
>> Kidwell<sxfgry902-O/bDAPVd7B0N+BqQ9rBEUg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> I like to power down stuff when I'm not using it -- save energy and save
>>> wear
>>> and tear and all that. But I'd also like to be able to remotely startup
>>> my
>>> office computer
>> Just don't power down your office PC. :) ?Really, that's what I tell
>> users at work. ?As long as the PC is going into suspend mode the power
>> draw isn't significantly different from it being "off".
>>

> Do you have any real experience waking up a host that is in "stanbdy" state,
> without using wake-on-lan? I was reading about wake-on-lan, and it seems
> some motherboards/NICs support keeping some kind of live TCP/IP stack online
> while the rest of the host is asleep, and responding to wakeup requests that
> way. I doubt mine can do anything like that.

We have all our desktop PCs here set to bring the PC out of standby in
response to any network traffic to it.  A simple ping will wake it up.
 Though, these are all Windows boxes though and it's part of the power
management settings for the device driver.  I should try this out on
my laptop running Fedora over the weekend.  I've never bothered much
with power management on Linux since typically I just want the box to
be up and running. :)  I wonder if it's a function of the driver or
ACPI.

tom