Wake-on-lan trigger device for my office PC -- using OpenWRT?

Tom McLaughlin-2 wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Brendan
> Kidwell<sxfgry902-O/bDAPVd7B0N+BqQ9rBEUg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I like to power down stuff when I'm not using it -- save energy and save
>> wear
>> and tear and all that. But I'd also like to be able to remotely startup
>> my
>> office computer
> Just don't power down your office PC. :)  Really, that's what I tell
> users at work.  As long as the PC is going into suspend mode the power
> draw isn't significantly different from it being "off".

Do you have any real experience waking up a host that is in "stanbdy" state,
without using wake-on-lan? I was reading about wake-on-lan, and it seems
some motherboards/NICs support keeping some kind of live TCP/IP stack online
while the rest of the host is asleep, and responding to wakeup requests that
way. I doubt mine can do anything like that.

So from the point of view of remotely switching back to "on" state,
"standby" and "powered off" seem to be equivalent. (Assuming you've setup
your hardware with "wake-on-lan available while powered off" set to true.)

>From what I understand, traditional wake-on-lan listens passively for a
broadcast packet without having the device itself appear in the network
infrastructure as an online TCP/IP client. You can't send a packet to the
target's IP address; it doesn't have one. You have to send a packet to that
wall socket's broadcast address and hope it gets routed there if you're on a
different subnet.

Tom and other Tom: I'll have to play around with this more -- make sure I
know my stuff and determine exactly why the packets don't get through. Maybe
if I ask nicely I can get the network admins to change a routing rule.