clone ubuntu installation

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 12:00 -0400, David Hummel wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Laura Conrad<sunny-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > I have a new computer, and will be moving my desktop to it over the next
> > week or so.
> >
> > I'd like to put a fresh ubuntu 9.04 installation on, but I don't want to
> > spend the next 2 months finding packages I need that aren't installed
> > yet.   What's the easiest way to take a fresh install and say, "Add all
> > that packages that are on that other machine and aren't yet here?"
>
> Something like this should do the trick:
>
> # old system
> $ dpkg --get-selections > mypkgs
>
> # new system
> $ dpkg --set-selections < mypkgs
> $ sudo aptitude install

Laura, this does answer your question directly, and will handle all
packages that were installed by the default package handler. It does not
however handle any 'by hand' installs you may have done. It also causes
me to bring up one of my own little frustrations...

The problem with this is that it does not deal with the configs that may
go along with the packages, and that is something that has bugged me for
a while. For example, say I have compizFusion on my machine, and I want
to clone the machine. if I use the above, I will end up with a generic
set of default settings in compizFusion, not all the tweaks and
adjustments that I spent months fine tuning. This is also true of say
apache settings, or mysql settings or php settings, or in fact and
'server' type application. I wish there was something out there that
could do that ... other than 'dd' ;)

Richard