Wake-on-lan trigger device for my office PC -- using OpenWRT?

I like to power down stuff when I'm not using it -- save energy and save wear
and tear and all that. But I'd also like to be able to remotely startup my
office computer, since that's where all the good resources are, for example
if I wanted to work at home on my laptop today.

I've determined that I can't send wake-on-lan messages to my PC from a
remote host on the company VPN, nor does it work from a web server in the
server room which is under my care. But I figure if I could setup a tiny
Linux host or NAT running something like OpenWRT right there on my desk, I
could just ssh into that and send the wake-up call from there. For security
reasons, my company has a strong no-wifi-network policy, and I'd like to
adhere to that.

So... what should I do?

1. Buy an OpenWRT compatible wireless home router, install it with wifi
disabled, and a friendly post-it saying "no, this is not a wifi router".
2. Buy some other non-wifi-capable home router and put something like
OpenWRT on it -- do these even exist anymore?
3. Don't do anything like this, and just "Phone a friend" to startup my PC.
4. Something else?

I guess I'm asking what's the cheapest and simplest path towards my goal.