another fedora release...

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2009, at 10:54 AM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
>
>> Stephen Adler wrote:
>>> It looks like fedora 11 is out, but not quite announced yet.... I'd
>>> love
>>> to read posts of those brave enough to upgrade their systems....
>> I've had this issue on three machines now (2 upgrades, and 1 fresh
>> install)
>> using Fedora 11 x86_64:
>> Grub doesn't install/update properly.  It's not a big deal, it does
>> bring up
>> the shell so you can fix it.  It seems that the grub drive numbering
>> has
>> changed, and what used to be hd0,0 is no longer the first partition
>> (probably
>> the device itself?).
>>
>> In any event, you can fix it easily once you get the grub prompt:
>> root (hd0,1)
>> setup (hd0)
>> reboot
>>
>> Where hd0 would be used if your root disk is /dev/sda, etc.
>
> Odd. All of my F11 boxes have root(hd0,0) and boot fine...

That is odd. Turns out the machine I have in front of me now has windows on
/dev/sda1, but I'm fairly certain the other two machines I have (at home)
don't.  I'll have to wait until tonight before I can see my home machines to
check them out though.

Regardless of whether the device numbering changed, I've never needed to do
those steps after an upgrade.  So something with the installer must have
gotten confused as to which partition had /boot on it.  (Perhaps that has
something to do with it: do you typically use a separate /boot partition? I do.)

Would it help to send you some dmidecode info for the affected machines?  Or
is there something I can do with my submitted smolt profiles to tag them as
having had this issue?

Matt