another fedora release...

Stephen Adler wrote:
> It looks like fedora 11 is out, but not quite announced yet.... I'd love
> to read posts of those brave enough to upgrade their systems....

FYI in case someone else (ie win32/linux dual booters) runs into this:
Note: I don't know if this is due to the new fedora, or a windows patch pushed
via windows update.  I did a fresh install of Fedora 11 on my wife's computer
last night, using ext3 for /boot and LVM for everything else.

After installing Fedora 11 (couldn't update from F10 because I wanted to
re-arrange some partitions) and getting some updates pushed from Microshaft
last night, this morning her 'My Documents' wasn't working (it's a
network-mapped drive from a samba server).  Turns out the problem is that
Windows is now actually recognizing my linux partitions as drives (previously
it left them out of the "my computer" listing of drives).  Don't get excited,
it wasn't able to read them or tell how full they were, but they did get a
letter assignment.

This was what caused me trouble: I was using a relatively low 'letter' for my
network-mapped drive ('H', for Home), and now Windows wanted to use that for
this local "drive" (which was actually a linux partition).  Once I figured out
the culprit, it was relatively simple to change the letter assignment of the
linux partition so it didn't conflict with my network drive.

I suspect this has more to do with a microsoft update than fedora: after all,
the partition type-codes listed in the partition table don't change, and
really this is about Windows all of a sudden recognizing the other (linux)
partitions.  But I don't have any other windows machines handy to really test
out my theory.

Matt