Drive mirroring - opinion wanted

Failures always occur during the most inopportune time. My backups=20
stopped when I upgraded releases and failed to restart the crontab. Our=20
BLU failure occurred after we had changed authentication so that we were =

not doing backups. The way I am set up in the office is I have a nightly =

backup which is subsequently backup up to NY. Neither I nor the NY IT=20
guys noticed that nothing was getting updated for a while. It turned out =

to be similar to the BLU authentication thing. Somehow the backup server =

was not being authenticated by the NFS server. A close look at the logs=20
showed the obvious.
On 06/09/2009 02:24 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>  =20
>> One way to get around this is to have a daily log message go out. =20
>> Recently we had an issue with one of the BLU servers where we were =20
>> not receiving the daily log watches. The issue was that GMAIL's SPAM  =

>> filters shuttled them into the SPAM box, so the server was ok.
>>    =20
>

> Indeed.  In principle it's best to have several independent layers of  =

> monitoring with independent notification channels.  Something to watch =
=20
> the watcher, so to speak.
>
>  =20

--=20