D-Link DNS 321 NAS device

I picked up a a d-link 321 NAS Friday along with two 1T byte drives.

My first stumbling block was it was a Windows based install. I worked
around this by looking at the DHCP log for its MAC address to find its
IP address.

The second stumbling block was it seems to need a "soft restart" to find
its hard disks. OK, no big deal. Not sure why it behaves like this. It
could be the Hitachi drives who knows?

Once up and running, I formatted a JBOD 2T disk.

I copied all my music and movies to it. Worked well, pretty fast. (CIFS)

It comes with a DAAP/iTunes server, which is pretty cool. Works with
macs and rythmbox as expected.

It comes with a UPnP AV system which I'll explore next.

The best part of this is that it runs Linux and you can add telnet/sshd
to it:

http://wiki.dns323.info

What happens is that it looks for an executable script in the root of
Volume_1 named fun_plug at startup. It will execute this script if it
has execute permissions. The fonz fun_plug system will install some
Linux software on your drive and add it to the system at startup.