VirtualBox Ubuntu host with existing Vista

I'm new to virtualization, and want to find a solution to run my
existing (from the factory) installation of Windows Vista as a guest
in my Ubuntu host.  I have Ubuntu installed.

I basically want to run Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope) as the VirtualBox
host, and be able to seamlessly run Windows Vista as a guest -- using
the pre-installed OS.  I have the install media, but I don't want to
go through the bother to re-install and re-partition if not necessary.

It looks like VirtualBox is a good solution for free and open source
virtualization.  It also looks like it supports using what they call
'raw access' to the existing disk.
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html#rawdisk  It seems
like one important part is to setup a second hardware profile (in
Vista), however it also seems that hardware profiles are only
supported in XP, not Vista.  I'm wondering if anyone has had success
doing this, and has any pointers to offer.  I've seen threads like
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=984437&highlight=vista+virtualbox&page=6
and language like "Remove anything not necessary, some trial and error
may be required if you are not sure what you need" makes me leary to
try it.

--
Greg Rundlett
Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing