Mythtv users + Comcast subscribers

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
greg-SfI3QVg0eaJl57MIdRCFDg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> A recent Mythtv user, I have been going through a lot of effort to get
> my (Comcast) channel lineup associated with the program data that I
> get from SchedulesDirect.  Now there is help for people like me.  Due
> to the fact that Comcast is distributing little Digital to Analog
> converters (along with their switchover to DTV broadcasts), they are
> now distributing the channel info in-band which makes it available to
> us.
>
> More specifically, there is a project on sourceforge with the tools
> for grabbing this info and putting it into your Mythtv database.
>
> See http://scte65scan.sourceforge.net/
>
> >From the website:
> Scans for in-band SCTE 65 tables. Allows automatic mapping of virtual
> channel numbers to callsigns and physical channels. Useful for the
> transition from analog CATV to digital CATV. Comcast is one such cable
> provider making these tables available.
>
> p.s. You'll see the acronym 'POD'.  I had no idea what that stood for,
> so I looked it up.  POD stands for Point Of Deployment and is an
> actual ANSI standard in the world of Cable Television
> ANSI/SCTE 28 2007       Host-POD Interface Standard
> http://www.scte.org/content/index.cfm?pID=59 for gory details on that.
>
> --
> Greg Rundlett
> Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing
> http://iic.harvard.edu
> camb 617-384-5872
> nbpt 978-225-8302
> m. 978-764-4424
> -skype/aim/irc/twitter freephile
> http://profiles.aim.com/freephile

Very interesting...
I've been trying to get my MythTV setup off the ground and the reason for my
procrastination has been this (getting my channel lineup configured).  I
have a HDHomeRun connected to comcast basic cable (no boxes), I read on the
SilconDust forums [1] a while back that someone has figured out a way to get
the lineup from SilconDust's resources website [2], I never pursude it
because I thought it was a sloppy solution, and a few people on the forums
said to avoid it if possible.

After re-reading the forum thread it looks like SilconDust has built an API
for their lineup server [3], so that we might be able to use that instead of
the python scripts.

Just curious Greg, are you using a HDHR?
Anyone out there using a HDHR? If so have you tried setting up your channel
lineup using this solution [1]? or the solution Greg mentioned? Results?

I am going to have to take a peak at this SourceForge project, maybe it will
finally get me off the ground.
Thanks
-Chris

[1] - http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5953