text editor with auto-save feature

Brendan Kidwell wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> Any recommendations for a Linux GUI text editor that will automatically
>> save unnamed buffers?
>
> JEdit has the feature you want. "Autosave untitled buffers".

I already had JEdit installed, as I evaluated it for suitability as a
programmers editor a while back, but I wasn't keen on the UI appearance
(being written in Java, everything from menus to dialogs are different,
and usually not better, than the GNOME equivalents).

I found the setting your referred to, checked that it was enabled, and
tested it. On restart nothing happened, and I found no evidence that the
buffers were written to disk. I tried again while I monitored file I/O
with lsof, and tried specifying a backup directory, in case that
mattered, but still nothing.

Oh wait, I see it did write #Untitled-1# and #Untitled-2# to the root of
my home directory, but it doesn't detect their presence on restart.
What's worse is if you restart, type some text in the newly created
unnamed buffer, it'll overwrite the existing #Untitled-1# without
warning. (If you're a regular user of this editor, you might want to
submit a bug report on this.)

Thanks for the pointer, but I'll keep looking.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA