Automount and /home

AFAIK, the retry parameter is not supported in Linux, at least according =

to the man pages. This morning for some reason the login screen would=20
not display on my monitor (this was related to the KVM), so I logged in=20
via putty, and the login requested a password which means the /home/gaf=20
directory was not mounted, but after authenticating, I was logged into=20
my home directory. The issue is strictly a timing issue where the=20
mounting of the home directory occurs after the initial login request.=20
So, I think the issue may be more in the login process rather than an=20
issue with automount per se.

On 05/25/2009 10:41 AM, Jerry Natowitz wrote:
> I remember having a similar problem on Solaris.  The solution was to=20
> add "retry=3D3" to the auto_home line(s) in /etc/auto_master on the=20
> server.  I don't exactly what conditions required this, only that it=20
> worked.
>
>     Jerry Natowitz
>     j.natowitz-KealBaEQdz4 at public.gmane.org
>

> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> At work, I have a central NFS and NIS server. Normally on weekends I=20
>> turn off my workstation (HP Integrity IA64 running RHEL 5.1) when I=20
>> reboot it, and try to log in from the GUI (GNOME), it tells me it=20
>> can't find my home directory, and sometimes comes up the wrong=20
>> resolution. However if I restart the GUI by logging off or=20
>> ctrl-alt-backspace, everything is fine. Additionally, if I log in=20
>> from my Windows system using putty before I log in from the console,=20
>> everything is fine. Additionally, if I ssh to any of our 9 systems,=20
>> the home directories generally come up. The only case where it fails=20
>> is the first login from the GDM login screen initially after boot. It =

>> is a minor pain. Note that my network is run through 2 GB Netgear=20
>> switches, 1 switch connects the firewall, and the office connectors,=20
>> and the other one is located in the rack where the 8 servers are=20
>> located. It's possible that the propagation delay could be part of=20
>> the issue, but that would not explain why ssh via putty works. One=20
>> other bit of info is that when logging in via GDM, I must enter my=20
>> password which is authenticated by NIS, where when I log in via ssh=20
>> (or putty) I use RSA keys in my home directory. In any case, this=20
>> just seems to be a transient timing issue where there might be a=20
>> slight delay in the automounting. Once I log in to the initial=20
>> session (no home directory), I can see that my home directory has=20
>> been mounted.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846