text editor with auto-save feature

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 2:03 AM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Any recommendations for a Linux GUI text editor that will automatically
> save unnamed buffers?
>
> In other words, you can do "File | New", type some text, have a system
> crash, reboot, and recover the typed text.
>
> There are plenty of editors that will autosave a named buffer, but
> almost none that will also do it for an unnamed buffer. (I've used a
> couple of Windows-only editors that have this feature. You'd think crash
> recovery would be an expected standard feature on all GUI apps., but
> sadly it isn't.)
>
> ?-Tom

Have you tried Quanta?

"Qantas never crash" - Dustin Hoffman in Rainman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJZQkslDBjM

Ooops, that's Qantas the airline (but I love that scene).

Quanta, the editor, certainly has crashed.  Add to that it's suffering
from very slow development to get onto the KDE4 bandwagon.  Still, it
has an auto-save feature.  I wasn't able to check if it does it on an
unnamed buffer - but I'm 90% sure that it does.

caveat: one of the great features of Quanta is that it allows
transparent network operations through KIO slaves.  That means you can
edit files on your server using
file->open->fish://user-hcDgGtZH8xNBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org/path/to/file  In that scenario, I
know I've lost contents on a crash - or at least had to go looking for
them on the local disk because quanta didn't look in it's remote file
cache the same way it looks in it's local file cache.

~ Greg

--
Greg Rundlett
Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing