Document scanning and "searchable" PDFs

David Vasconcelos-2 wrote:

> I've got an HP OfficeJet 5610 and I'm interested in finding a
> replacement for the bundled scanner software.
>
> The HP software (Windows) can produce something it calls a "searchable
> PDF."  I really like this format because it's combines an image of the
> document with OCR'd text.

No free software suggestion? I would highly recommend Adobe Acrobat Pro. It
does the trick you want, with no fuss, and I installed it on my office
Windows VM for just this purpose. Unfortunately, it's Windows-only (it may
work in WINE; I haven't tried) and unfortunately it's very unfree. We happen
to have a bundle of licenses at my company.