hardware RAM disk

Running out of things to do with cheap DRAM? Have a machine that's fully
loaded up on RAM, and you want a RAM disk, but don't want to use any
system RAM?

I ran across this odd device today:

ACARD ANS9010 5.25 inch SATA x 2-to-DDRII RAM Disk
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch_v2.asp?SCriteria=AA74660

Fits in a 5.25" drive bay, takes up to 8 DDR2 DIMMs (64GB), and provides
a SATA interface to the host (actually 2, I guess for greater
bandwidth). It also includes a CF slot and a battery with enough juice
to keep it running long enough to copy the RAM to a CF card. Priced at
$360 without RAM.

Should be faster than a Flash-based solid state drive. The manufacturer
claims "IOPS 130,000 per SATA port."

So what would *you* use it for? A ZFS write cache, perhaps?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA