groups

    Eric> if 'groups' isn't showing you in that group it's because you
    Eric> need to logout / log in.  hit CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a new virtual
    Eric> console and log in.  what does groups say now?

    Ben> Generally speaking, you'll need to spawn a full login shell in
    Ben> order to pick up the new group privileges.  I don't think a new
    Ben> terminal tab or even a 'bash -l' will do it.  The way I check
    Ben> is to use one of the virtual ttys, i.e. ctrl-alt-f2, login
    Ben> there and test it.

    Bill> You have to log off and back on.

You can tell this system antedates X windows, can't you?

Thanks to everyone.  I was hoping there was a magic word, the way there
is if you change your PATH, but I guess not.

I have checked in a virtual tty, and it works the way I expect there.

Meanwhile, the fiddling with the permissions of the directory seems to
have broken the application.  This was a bad gumption trap; I have gone
and roasted and ground coffee beans and brewed coffee.  Maybe I will
make more progress on redesigning my website after some coffee.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

If the world could write by itself, it would write like Tolstoy.

Isaac Babel