groups

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:44:30AM -0400, Laura Conrad wrote:
> So what I did was set up a new group, and add my user to that group, and
> change the ownership of that directory to that group, and change the
> permissions to allow reading and writing by the group.
>
> As root, when I look at permissions and ownership, they look the way I
> expect.  As the user, if I say "groups username", it lists the new
> group, but if I just say "groups", it doesn't, even if I open a new tab
> after having added username to the group.

Generally speaking, you'll need to spawn a full login shell in order to
pick up the new group privileges.  I don't think a new terminal tab or
even a 'bash -l' will do it.  The way I check is to use one of the virtual
ttys, i.e. ctrl-alt-f2, login there and test it.

-ben

--
quantity has a quality all of its own.                      <joe stalin>