Monitors Won't Sleep in TwinView Mode (Ubuntu Jaunty / gnome-power-manager)

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Matthew Gillen <me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> BassKozz wrote:
> > So in order to initiate vbetool I need to use sudo.  So my assumption is
> > that because I am running vbetool as sudo/root I can't get out of it by
> > moving the mouse or keyboard because these are actions that are being
> > performed as the user.
> > Maybe I am way off here, but it's just a guess.  Any idea's on how to run
> > vbetool as user to test?
>
> Add the setuid bit:
>
>  chmod u+s /usr/sbin/vbetool
>
> (assuming that /usr/sbin/vbetool is owned by root, this will invoke vbetool
> with root permissions, regardless of which user executes the command)
>
> HTH,
> Matt

Thanks Matt...
Now I can run vbetool as user, but I still am unable to exit out (restore
active state of monitors) by moving my mouse around or pressing keys on the
keyboard, however I did find out that CTRL+ALT+DEL was still working (I was
just being impatient).  So I've found a sloppy workaround, and I've created
two bash scripts (dpms-off.sh & dpms-on.sh) and I call them using custom
keyboard shortcuts (ctrl+alt+0 & ctrl+alt+1).  The scripts simply run
"vbetool dpms off" & "vbetool dpms on" respectively.

Not the prettiest solution in the book, but at least now I have the ability
to put my monitors to sleep (albeit manually), it's better then having to
physically turn them off individually (this way they both go to sleep
together). Does anyone know how I can tie the dpms-off.sh script into my
screensaver so that after 15mins it kicks this on?

I've been at this all day now googling the heck out of this one and there
are tons of people who are having similar issues with gnome-power-manager &
gnome-screensaver, some have had success removing gnome-screensaver and just
using xscreensaver, I gave it a shot, and unfortunately it didn't work for
me :(

Time to give up.  At least I have a half-decent solution.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
-BassKozz