Monitors Won't Sleep in TwinView Mode (Ubuntu Jaunty / gnome-power-manager)

The plot thickens...

After some googling I found this page:
http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html
According to this page "vbetool" seems to be the solution.

Quick description of vbetool: "vbetool uses lrmi in order to run code from
the video BIOS. Currently, it is able to alter DPMS states, save/restore
video card state, and attempt to initialize the video card from scratch. It
exists primarily in order to increase the chances of successfully recovering
video state after an ACPI S3 suspend."
- http://freshmeat.net/projects/vbetool/

So I tried what it said and used: vbetool dpms off
And it Worked :-D !!!
Wait a minute not so fast...
I can't break out of it :-(
The monitors are stuck in standby mode... I tried moving the mouse, slamming
my keyboard against my head, ctrl+alt+del... nothing seems to break it out
of standby mode.  It seems that the GPU's BIOS is stuck in Standby Mode... I
had to manually press the reset button on the box to get it to restart.

Hmm, off to do some more research.
Any idea's out there?