Monitors Won't Sleep in TwinView Mode (Ubuntu Jaunty / gnome-power-manager)

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Matthew Gillen <me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> BassKozz wrote:
> > I've had this issue since Hardy (8.04), and each upgrade (intrepid and
> now
> > jaunty) I've been crossing my fingers and hoping for a fix but it has not
> > come :(

> > from "Separate X-Sessions" to "TwinView" the monitors won't go into sleep
> > mode.
> > My video card is: nVIDIA GeForce 8600GT and I am using the restricted
> > drivers v180.44
> > Both monitors are hooked up to that videocard, however one of them is run
> > thru a KVM (because I use one of my monitors to work on multiple
> computers).
> > Also should be noted I am using 64bit version of Ubuntu Desktop, of which
> > just upgraded to Jaunty.
>
> The KVM is probably interrupting X's auto-detection of the DPMS
> capability of the monitor.  You can try adding
>  Option "DPMS" "True"
> in both the device and monitor sections of your xorg.conf, or running:
>  xset +dpms
> after you log in.
>
> HTH,
> Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt...
Unfortunately that didn't work. DPMS was already enabled as an option in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
And I ran "xset +dpms" in term and still a no-go :(

The reason I don't believe my KVM is the culprit is because the screensaver
works fine.  I have my screen saver setup to go to a blank screen after
15minutes and I have the power management setup to turn the screens off
after 20minutes. Like I said after 15minutes the screensaver activates just
fine, however the monitors never go into sleep mode after 20minutes like
they should.

I've tried different time periods (i.e. setting the screen saver to 1minute
and power to 2 minutes) but nothing seems to work.  I've tested these
monitors on different rigs and they go into sleep mode just fine... also
before when I was using "Separate X Sessions" it worked just fine, ever
since I switched to "TwinView" no more sleep.