Anyone using Ubuntu 9.04?

On Apr 29, 2009, at 2:28 AM, Randy Cole wrote:

> Alsa-driver is still broken in Ubuntu 9.04 for HP w/IDT 92HD71B7
> chipset
> Alsa driver doesn't work for ATI RS780 / IDT chip found in my
> laptop. I
> believe this chip is common to recent HP DV4, DV5, DV7 models. Affects
> Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 10, Ubuntu 9.04 (both LiveCD & upgrade from 8.10)
>
> Workaround:
> Go to alsaproject, download alsa-driver & alsa-kmirror. Compile
> alsa-kmirror first. I used git checkout to pull the source, followed
> by
> ./gitconfigure and make install.
>
> Recompile alsa-driver every time the kernel is changed.
>
> IDT supposedly has Linux drivers, but will not provide them to
> end-users. HP doesn't support Linux on their consumer laptops.
>
> Since alsaproject has fixed this, this is an Ubuntu and Fedora bug.

Well, only sort of. Its more a side-effect of the alsa folks doing
things a bit wonky and out-of-cycle with the rest of the kernel world,
so released kernels end up with alsa 'pre-releases' in them and
whatnot... Constant battle trying to get a fully functional alsa into
the Fedora kernels of late -- updating something like the hda-intel
driver often fixes five peoples' systems and breaks another five.

> As for ctrl-alt-backspace being disabled by default for the benefit of
> emacsen, that's ridiculous. Let's make 90% of the people suffer for
> <10%.

As mentioned, turning it back on is trivial. The gun is still there,
it just isn't loaded, you have to put the bullet in if you want
something to happen when you pull the trigger.

> I can confirm that upgrading to 9.04 Jaunty-Jackalope breaks the fglrx
> driver on certain recent HP dv4 / dv5 / dv7 laptops using ATI Radeon
> 3200 graphics. Disable the proprietary driver before updating.

The fglrx driver appears to be getting phased out, ATI/AMD has
released an updated driver they're now calling 'catalyst' (matches
their Winders driver). Was just released on 4/17, no clue how well it
works w/current X in Ubuntu 9.04 and/or Fedora 11.

>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-x/2009-March/000442.html
>>
> After following three levels of links from Mick's message, I got to
> some
> confusing directions, including references to packages that don't
> exist.
>
> I'm confused; Is fglrx deprecated? What is the replacement? I thought
> downloading drivers directly from ATI was not recommended by ubuntu.

Oops, didn't see this before writing the above. Yes, fglrx is going
away, but its really basically just a rename to catalyst.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org