Anyone using Ubuntu 9.04?

On 04/28/2009 07:55 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> I was thinking of upgrading my laptop this weekend.  It sounds pretty
> stable.
>
> If you're using it, did you do a fresh install or an upgrade from Ibex?=

> I read one disturbing thing from
> http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Ubuntu-904-the-Jaunty-Ja=
ckalope-Sports-Modest-Software-Improvements-But-Big-Plans-535187/?kc=3DEW=
KNLLIN04282009STR1

> "Also along the lines of making its graphics configuration less arcane,=

> 9.04 is the first Ubuntu release to do away with the Vulcan-death-grip
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination that you can use on most Linux
> distributions to dislodge misbehaving graphical applications by killing=

> your X server session. Once upon a time, this came in handy fairly
> often, and the fact that it's become an anachronism is a mark of Linux'=
> maturity."
>
> Huh??!!  WTF would they remove the ability to kill the X server?  I
> don't care how damn stable they say it is, sometimes you get a
> hard-to-kill process and you just want to nuke from orbit without a
> complete restart.  Sometimes when I lose sound and I don't know what's
> got a hold of the device, that's my only recourse.  Can someone confirm=

> this blasphemy for me?
>
> This article also says it breaks the ATI proprietary drivers, which
> doesn't affect me, but is too bad.
>
> ext4 sounds too risky for me, though better handling of big files would=

> be handy on my MythTV drives.
>
>  =20
I upgraded my laptop. One thing I noticed is that after a long idle=20
period the screen saver locks up. I have not researched that. Other=20
functions work fine. Virtualbox 2.1 seems to run a bit smoother (eg.=20
Windows horrible sound does not break up).

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846