Anyone using Ubuntu 9.04?

David Kramer wrote:
> If you're using it, did you do a fresh install or an upgrade from Ibex?

I haven't yet, but plan to do an upgrade. I suspect it is quite uncommon
to do a "fresh install" to accomplish n Ubuntu upgrade.

I'd like to know if it ships with a version of GNOME that fixes the
session management.

> WTF would they remove the ability to kill the X server?  I
> don't care how damn stable they say it is, sometimes you get a
> hard-to-kill process and you just want to nuke from orbit without a
> complete restart.

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart ?

I've used ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X maybe once or twice
intentionally. It's a pretty blunt instrument and blows away the full
desktop, so I'd never use it just to combat a single misbehaving
program. Just yesterday I ran across one of the few situations where it
would be useful (a video codec apparently crashed the proprietary nvidia
driver), and it didn't work. Complete console lockup. Restarting gdm
from an ssh session and forcing the nvidia module to unload didn't work
either. One of the rare times I had to resort to a full reboot.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA