Whack-On-Lan

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Rajiv Aaron Manglani <rajiv-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> So I am curious to hear what other BLU members are using to remotely reset
>> machines via Ethernet.  Does a consumer grade or cheap enterprise solution
>> exist?
>>

> all of our servers are on IP-addressable PDUs (power distribution units).
> basically power strips with built in web servers and snmp. each outlet can
> be switched on and off remotely.
>
> several vendors including apc.com, servertech.com, tripplite.com sell
> these products with 2 to 20 or so outlets. you could put the server on a UPS
> which has network control (same vendors as above).
>
> some servers (sun, hp, ibm, apple, etc) include a "lights out management"
> board which can give you remote power and console control.

I probably should've mentioned the hardware in my initial post, we are using
an old desktop PC that came with XP on it and I formatted and installed
Ubuntu to save some money (Small Business).  So unfortunatly I know the MoBo
doesn't have the "lights out managment" you speak of, maybe I can convince
them to upgrade soon, but for the time being I think we'll have to stick
with what we've got.

I am curious to learn more about the PDUs.  I'll do some research on that.
Thanks for the reply Rajiv,
-Chris