Whack-On-Lan

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 01:21:12PM -0400, Christopher Rutter wrote:
> On the VERY rare occation when the server crashes and I can't SSH into it
> I have to call the owner of the company and have him drop what he's doing
> and phsyically go down to the office unlock the closet and reset the
> server

If the box is important enough that the owner drops whatever he is doing to
go and reset it, then the $200 you might spend on a remote power cycling
device would be a cheap investment.

You could eBay one for less if cost is really a concern.

We have largish (16 and 32?) port APC devices for this purpose, but you can
buy small ones that will do a single server.
-ben

--
this is an unbearable strain, but i'm doing it as hard as i've ever
done it before.                                         <ignignokt>