Processor Assisted Virtualization

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I had read that most BIOS's have it disabled by default. Mine is a Tyan
> S2915 MB with an AMQ Opteron Quad Core. I don't do much with Windows, but I
> have Vista and XP VMs in the few cases I might need to use them.

Several BIOSes have it disabled by default because of concerns with
the so-called "Blue Pill":
http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2007/08/virtualization-detection-vs-blue-pill.html

AMD chips of the Barcelona or Shanghai generations (Phenom, Phenom II,
newer dual and quad-core Opterons etc.) are especially good at
virtualization since they have nested-paging enabled in hardware
(marketing term is "Rapid Virtualization Index"). This significantly
speeds up handling of page faults and virtual memory in general, so it
is a shame to not enable these features in the BIOS.

-Shankar