Campus cops treat Ubuntu use as sign of criminality

Bill Ricker wrote:

> If the police and court aren't entirely incompetent, they would have
> heard some indication of Motive as well, like what prior history
> existed between the victim of the emails and the victim of the search
> warrant, but for privacy reasons that might have been omitted from
> coverage.

The warrant application goes into additional detail, but it doesn't
contain any information about any past contacts between the target of
the search warrant and the victim of the forged e-mail,  It's mainly
based on allegations made by the computer guy's disgruntled roommate
that the IT guy hacked the college grade system and downloaded pirated
movies.   Some of the allegations sound weak: the roommate's PC doesn't
work, and he suspects it's the IT guy's fault.

The most substantial-looking link is that a computer in the IT guy's
name did a DNS lookup relevant to the harassing e-mail.   So based on
that, the cops are going to forensically search his PC for a few months
and look for evidence to strengthen the case.

I was going to say "we shall see", but probably this will peter out with
no resolution.

--RC