Twiki care

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Doug <dougsweetser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have a web site, and I could put a twiki on it.  How do people
> defend against spam and malware?  I read on the web that having a
> registration check box that says "I am not a robot"  is pretty
> effective.  Thought I'd ask for people's experiences...
>
> My guess is that approaches are web-framework specific.  Drupal has a
> number of defensive modules I am using.
> Doug

I created a memorial site for a friend of mine who passed away a while back
(danielpemsler.com), and on that website I used phpBB v2 to create a message
board.  I had a real hard time dealing with spamers/bots once the search
engines started crawling the site, so at first I used bbProtection (
http://www.bbprotection.net/) and then that service went away (not enough
support I guess).  So I looked for an alternative. That's when I found
reCaptcha (http://recaptcha.net), I actually wrote 2 mods for phpBB to use
reCaptcha (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=588059 /
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=588297)
:pat-self-on-back:
Ever since I implemented reCaptcha the site's phpBB forums have been spam
free :-D

IMO, reCaptcha is the best captcha around, not only are you keeping spammers
and bots away but your also helping digitize books (
http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html) win-win.

Check it out; http://recaptcha.net/whyrecaptcha.html
I don't have any experience with Twiki, but I am sure it wouldn't be too
difficult to write a plugin for it.
HTH,
-Chris

p.s. if you know anyone who works for reCaptcha, I am still awaiting my
marketing checks ;-P