free speech and privacy respecting social networking site?

Eric,

IMHO, if you can post it on an openly available server, you should
be prepared for even 'private' communications to become public without
recourse.

I think that places like Facebook should be concerned and implement all
the security they reasonable can, but it is still the posters responsibility
not to be 'stupid' about what they post. (Stupid in this case is a
'technical term',
relating to any behaviors that someone might not want made public.)

Our public servants run into this all the time, and so do 'normal folk' when
something brings public scrutiny on our lives.

If you don't want it known, don't record it in any form.  Don't communicate
it to anyone else.

... But to directly address your issue ...

In your case, Facebook is probably over-reacting, but it is also reacting to
the
litigious nature of our society.  They can't tell if you are posting
something 'legit'
or the latest pseudo-blockbuster like the Hanna Montana movie (block buster
if you are a 10 year old girl anyway).  By who knows, the Japanese Sports
program might want to sue Facebook and you over posting!  They could just be
doing a CYOA thingie too.  Lawyers seem to be the only winners in such suits
anyway.  Kind of like most patents, copyrights, and trademarked issues,
again
IMHO.

IHS ... Jack