boot log help in Ubuntu

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 04/11/2009 07:02 AM, James Kramer wrote:
>> I would appreciate any help.  I would also appreciate an explanation
>> of why I need to jump through hoops to get a look at my boot logs.
>>
> What does dmesg look like (the dmesg command).  dmesg -c will display
> and empty the buffer so that the next time you boot, you will get a
> clean dmesg.

Every linux system I've ever seen always automatically clears dmesg on every
boot (I've never done a -c, but always only see 'current' messages).  dmesg
usually only has driver initialization messages though.  You can check
/var/log/messages, but on ubuntu I think most things go instead to
/var/log/syslog

> /etc/resolv.conf is set by the networking system if you are getting an
> automatic IP address. I assume you are using Netmanager to connect.
> When the system comes up, can you connect to the network. Can you
> resolve addresses.

You could probably get the message again if you do one of these two commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/network restart
or
sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart

(that's what they are on Fedora, I assume they're the same/similar on Ubuntu...)

HTH,
Matt