mkinitramfs, LVM, ecryption...

Looking for help in getting an Ubuntu installation working.

Always having to be different, I decided I wanted to install Ubuntu
9.04-beta inside an existing encrypted LVM.

Background:

I currently run Ubuntu 8.04 on my notebook in an encrypted LVM.  I have:

 - /boot that is in the clear.
 - an encrypted LVM thingie.

Inside the encrypted LVM I have:

 - swap
 - /home
 - /
 - an alternate slash.  (/otherslash)

I try to remember to copy / to /otherslash before doing dangerous
things.  The idea is to be able to boot between the two.  I can even
hibernate to encrypted swap.

Today:

I installed the new Ubuntu beta inside one of the slashes inside the
LVM.  The (386 alternate CD) installer didn't understand what it was
seeing, I had to switch to a text console and decrypt it, then it saw
it.  Cool.  Except it won't boot.  It can't find root, never tries to
ask for password.  I tried making a new initrd:

  # mount --bind /boot /otherslash/boot
  # mkinitramfs -r /otherslash -o /boot/test01-initrd 2.6.28-11-generic

This one asks me for a password when booting, but it doesn't like it.
Before asking for the password it says something about not recognizing
the LVM.  The LVM is directly encrypted with the (massaged) password,
there is no key file.  I am wondering whether that is part of the confusion.

Ideas?

Thanks,

-kb