How much do I charge my friend/small business for my IT services?

What do commercial consultants in your area get, without body shop/head
hunter fees
with your skill set.  .. I start there.

If you make $80K/yr, that is roughly $40/hr.  Add back in the 13 to 15%
employment
taxes, and that should be your 'bare' rate.

For customers that want me to do stuff I don't want to do, there is the +50%
PITA adjustment.
For friends, that can afford it and I am out of work, there is a -40%
'friend' adjustment'.
For the 'little old lady at church', it is free.
If I really want to do it, and havn't done anything similar before, a -20%
'education' adjustment.

There also can be a 'commuting' or 'off hour access' adjustment to your
rate.

If this is to be long term, you can provide support for a flat fee each
month, with a minimum
contract length, make it a reasonable number that you would feel good
about.  If you think you
will, long term, spend 10 hours a month on servicing this account, and your
hourly is $50,
then say $450/month.  You give a discount, but if you can do it in fewer
hours, you win big,
if it takes you longer, you eat it.  Figure in the first few months (2-4)
you will be eating a lot
of your time.  The goal is to make it take little of your time in the long
run.

Set reasonable expectations for both the customer and you.  Give you both a
reasonable
way to 'get out of the contract' with reasonable notice.

Also, they provide hardware or you add a 20% procurement fee.
Also, consider a 2% discount for payment within 5 days, and 2%/month service
charge, that compounds,
for carrying any non-payment for more than 15 days. (Make up your own fees,
to ensure
you get paid in a timely manner).

Just a few thoughts.  Let us know how things come along!

IHS ... Jack