Desktop relevance

i have to echo the sentiment about the poor state of vmware server 2.0.
i've tried it on i386 and x86_64 h/w, various versions of fedora (and
windoze) and it does truly suck!
however, that being said, the 1.x versions work beautifully on i386 hardware
and any o/s.  the x86_64 support for any of the vmware products is
atrocious, regardless of version.
another thing that is annoying, kernel level support.  vmware doesn't seem
to support kernels above 2.25.  there are several patches that do fix the
problem (references to kernel headers when building local modules and
such).  that does leave you relying on a vendor's product that only works
with a 3rd party patch.
my virtualbox experience hasn't been good enough to get me to switch from
vmware server.  admittedly, that was going to head to head several months
ago using an xp box as the host.  i haven't been able to get virtualbox to
work on x86_64 either.

my 2 cents!