GUI notifications from syslog

Derek Martin wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> "Standard X console?"
>
> ...they're referring to xconsole, and old Athena widget application
> for capturing messages sent to the console.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

> On older X windows installations I've used, xconsole was launched
> automatically and displayed along with the chooser/login boxes...

I've seen customized GNOME login screen themes that include a console
display showing the boot messages.

>> ...it sounds like it'll display
>> anything written to the traditional system console, which would
>> catch more than just what syslog might write.
>
> Likely the other way around.  I'm not aware of anything that logs
> messages to the system console without using syslog to do it...

I wondered about that...

> HP Openview does what (I think) you want...
> Have you tried searching freshmeat for something like "log monitor"?

I'm not looking for a monitoring or log analysis package. I already have
those in place. Simply a desktop display mechanism. It displays any and
every message fed to it. Any monitoring or filtering logic happens upstream.

On various systems I have monitoring tools and log analysis tools that
are analyzing data, so when they decide that something is worth seeing,
it requires immediate attention. It isn't ongoing status information
that I'm looking to display in a "dashboard" that gets looked at
occasionally.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro