GUI notifications from syslog

Madison McGaffin wrote:
> ...but I've whipped together a few scripts like what you've mentioned
> with notify-send.  It sounds a bit like what you're looking for.
> notify-send "Updating locatedb.  Go get a cup of coffee."

Yes. That's exactly what I was looking for...at least for one piece of
the puzzle. Ideally, I was looking for a specific solution for
displaying syslog messages, or "prior art" on techniques for
implementing that, but this is a step closer. Still needs some glue to
read from a named pipe, and in the end it may just be easier to code the
whole thing in Perl using libnotify directly.

But notify-send is still useful for other things, even if I don't use it
for this project. Here's a blog post from someone using it to display
incoming phone calls w/caller-ID on their desktop:
http://cweiske.de/tagebuch/DBus%20notify-send%20over%20network.htm

And another where the author used it to notify when a compile job completed:
http://wagiaalla.com/blog/?p=28

(Both show screenshots, if you're curious what these notifications look
like.)

I'm not sure why they didn't bundle this tiny binary with the libnotify
package, but on Debian and Ubuntu it's available in the separate
libnotify-bin package:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libnotify-bin

I installed it, tested it, and it works. Haven't figured out yet what it
expects for the icon or category options, or how to specify that the
notification should remain on screen indefinitely.

The man pages references the notification spec:
http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/
which provides few hints.

> I don't know about pushing messages across a network...

That's not a problem. For my intended application, syslog will take care
of that part. More generally, you can use ssh to launch notify-send on
the target system. Not very light weight, but adequate for the
occasional notification.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro