Linux ext2/ext3 read/write from XP w/SP3? (fwd)

I just read an article about how a guy was trying to use an ext2 USB
disk on his Mac and how the kernel driver on source forge was broken.
Its something like "Rube Goldberg Helps me Read EXT2 on my mac" or
something like that.

His solution was to create an Ubuntu install in a VM on his windows
machine using Virtual Box, and let ubuntu read the USB drive. It seems
silly, but this is a serious problem in the industry. There needs to be
a good "universal" disk format that is both usable and portable.

I wish there were a disk that could be used by mac, BSD, Linux, and
Windows and offer acceptable performance and disk file sizes greater
than 2G.