Fedora 10 wireless timing out on bootup

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 14:41:30 Matthew Gillen wrote:
>
>> Randy Cole wrote:
>>
>>> Under Fedora 10, my wireless is identified as eth1.  On bootup, stalls
>>> for a full minute until something times out.
>>>
>>> How can I prevent Fedora from waiting?  This doesn't seem to be a
>>> problem in Ubuntu.
>>>
>> Try running system-config-network, and check the box that says "Controlled by
>> NetworkManager", and un-check the box that says "Activate when computer starts".
>>
>> The latter option is usually redundant with the former.
>>

> Just to explain a bit more what's going on here... Since the wireless device
> is identified as eth1, rather than wlan0, NM probably thinks its a wired
> connection, and thus tries to start it earlier. Is that an out-of-tree wireless
> driver by chance?
system-config-network did the trick. Notice that there is also a
system-config-network-cmd for command-line use. Neither has a man page.
I was curious which config file was ultimately changed - guess I'll have
to look at the source :-) .

I am 60% sure that ubuntu 8.10 out of the box used wlan0. Ubuntu doesn't
try to start wireless at boot. Fedora & Ubuntu start the wired ethernet
at boot, gets a no-link present after about a second or so. Network
connections, generally, should not be on the critical path at boot time,
i.e. should start asynchronous. Wonder how Ubuntu and Fedora handle
boot-time dependencies - I know there are some fast-boot project(s) out
there.

As for drivers, Ubuntu 8.10 non-free driver works with the broadcom
BCM4312 wireless, I think it was out-of-the-box. Fedora 10 x64 didn't
recognize the chip out of the box, but did about the end of January.

Randy