Ethernet over unused twisted pair?

Our local power company (in TN) now reads the power meters network wide hourly.
So I think they 'have it down' pretty well now.  I wish they would let
me get internet
over them too!

Back when AT&T (before being purchased and name taken by SouthWestern Bell)
sold a fixed wireless solution in Houston for phone and IP, they put
the IP via your house wiring using some power line ethernet adapters.

Currently in our 100 year old house we use wireless internet.  We are
out in the toolies
but I still secure our network a bit without going overboard.  If I
lived in a brownstone
or anywhere close to neighbors, or if I was building a new house, I
would prefer for
most networking to be wired given it as an 'easy option'.

IHS ... Jack