Ethernet over unused twisted pair?

Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> I have no problems making my own cable - please remind me which two
> rj45 wires (signals) I'd need to wire to the corresponding two wires
> on the RJ11 side?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott
>
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
>> As long as its a 4 wire phone line and not 2 wire you can run
>> standard 10/100 over it. They only use 4 of the 8 wires in cat 5. As
>> for an adapter I'm sure they exist but you could just take a cable,
>> cut one end and wire up a plug from radioshack or home depot to
>> convert it.

Scott,

You need two _pairs_, not just two wires. If your house has "JK"
telephone wire, which provides four leads, you'll have to switch to a
cordless phone in order to free the (usually) red & green wires for
Ethernet.

On an RJ-45 connector, pins 1 and 2 are the first pair, and pins 3 and 6
are the second. I don't remember which is transmit and which receive,
but if you're connecting to a router you'll just wire them "straight
across".

Bill Horne

--
E. William Horne