Ethernet over unused twisted pair?

As long as its a 4 wire phone line and not 2 wire you can run standard 10/100 over it. They only use 4 of the 8 wires in cat 5. As for an adapter I'm sure they exist but you could just take a cable, cut one end and wire up a plug from radioshack or home depot to convert it.

------Original Message------
From: Scott R. Ehrlich
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: L BLU
Sent: Mar 7, 2009 8:47 PM
Subject: Ethernet over unused twisted pair?

I'm trying to find a way to get an Ethernet connection from a second floor
room diagonally across the house to the first floor.    There is no plenum
- no dropped ceiling, and having an electrician do the wiring is too
expensive.

I _could_ go wireless, but I'd much rather pursue a hardwired option
first.

So, it occurred to me that DSL is Ethernet than works over a pair of phone
wire.   Is there any device that could convert the Ethernet signal from my
Linksys box to something I could plug into a phone jack that is wired with
the unused phone pair, then run a mating device in first floor's
corresponding phone jack and get my hardwired network run that way?

Could using two DSL boxes on the wire do the job?

Other than an electrician and wireless, what are my options (other than
do it yourself or don't do it at all)?

Thanks.

Scott