Fedora 10 wireless timing out on bootup

On Thursday 05 March 2009 15:37:50 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 03/05/2009 02:47 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> >> Try running system-config-network, and check the box that says "Controlled by
> >> NetworkManager", and un-check the box that says "Activate when computer starts".
> >>
> >> The latter option is usually redundant with the former.
> >>

> > Just to explain a bit more what's going on here... Since the wireless device
> > is identified as eth1, rather than wlan0, NM probably thinks its a wired
> > connection, and thus tries to start it earlier. Is that an out-of-tree wireless
> > driver by chance?
> >

> On my Ubuntu system, it also comes up as eth1, and NM has no problem in
> identifying it.

Its not so much a matter of identifying it once you're at the desktop, its
a matter of what's done with it during boot up, because Fedora 10 actually
uses NetworkManager to bring up your wired interfaces prior to the desktop
being available.

Does Ubuntu actually try to bring up network interfaces before the desktop
using NetworkManager? If not, well, that explains why Fedora has the hang
and Ubuntu doesn't.

> DMESG shows the following message:
>
> [   22.438061] udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to eth1

That's... Dumb. Not sure why the hell its getting renamed to eth1 instead
of leaving it as wlan0, which is more apropos, but whatever.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org