Having trouble connecting to encrypted wireless where SSID broadcastis OFF

My non expert firts sugestion would be to make sure the specific types of wpa are the same. Its more complicated than just wpa and wpa2. When the ap is broadcasting linux can figure this out on its own. However it may be that the ap is not communicating well with linux when its the comp initiating the connection.

------Original Message------
From: Randy Cole
Sender: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
To: L BLU
Sent: Feb 26, 2009 1:20 AM
Subject: Having trouble connecting to encrypted wireless where SSID broadcastis OFF

Usually, but not always, cannot connect to encrypted wireless where SSID
broadcast is turned off.  Using WPA or WPA2.   Driver is wl.  Chip is
Broadcom BCM4312.  Having this problem under Ubuntu 8.10 x64 and Fedora
10 x64.   Vista Home Premium x64 connects without a hitch.

When I turn on SSID broadcast, the set up connection works.  How do I
debug this?