NFS mounting a directory of symbolic links to other directories

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:49:30AM -0500, Don Levey wrote:
> Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> > Hard links can't cross file system boundaries.  Are /base/music and
> > /base/kidsmusic on the same file system?
> >

> Yes, they are - on both machines.

Hmm, I'm not sure I follow you.

When I say that hard links can't cross file system boundaries, I mean
the linked files have to be on the same file system on the same partition
on the same physical disk (lvm and RAID notwithstanding).  They can't
just be mounted in the same directory tree.

Does that make sense?

So for the hard link method to work, /base needs to be a single file
system.  You could check that in the 'mount' output, e.g.

I think hard links would actually work nicely in this situation.  I haven't
tested it, but I think you would only need a single NFS export with the
hard link solution, so the kids machine could mount the kidsmusic directory
and nothing else.

-ben

--
be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you accept.
                                          <rfc 791, paraphrased>