Boston Linux and Unix InstallFest XXXII Saturday February 28, 2009

i am using iSCSI with SATA drives, raid1 for OS and raid 5 for storage . i just read about openfiler i am going to try it to night.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Natowitz" <j.natowitz-KealBaEQdz4 at public.gmane.org>
To: "BLU Discussion List" <discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 3:40:24 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Boston Linux and Unix InstallFest XXXII Saturday February 28, 2009

I will not be at the InstallFest, but I may be able to help you.
Sometimes SAN (Storage Area Network) and NAS (Network Attached Storage)
are confused. On a simple level, if you are using Fibre-channel or
iSCSI, you are indeed building a SAN. On the other hand, if you are
using ethernet, but not iSCSI, you are building a NAS.

Building a NAS should be fairly easy using any standard distribution.

Building a SAN, on the other hand, is more involved. A quick google of
Linux SAN showed some articles that were really about NAS, and some that
were about iSCSI. My take is that using iSCSI over 1 or 10 gigabit
ethernet, and using SATA or SAS disks (depending on budget) would be the
way to go.