Cheapest way to backup data

100ji wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2009, at 1:34 PM, 100ji wrote:
>>> 1) having your own raid.
>>> 2) Store it on the cloud.
>>> 3) Pool free storage (gmail, free online storage etc..)
>> RAID isn't data integrity.  It is media integrity.
>>

> Hmm, is this the property of all raid levels though?

I think that what he means about RAID not being data integrity is that
data can still be damaged by malfunctions in the computer and/or OS;
that will typically write the same corrupt data on all the redundant
disks. Suitable levels of RAID will protect you against the failure of
one hard drive.

RAID is also not a full replacement for backup because it does not
protect you against catastrophic failure of the computer (the system
catching on fire and so forth). And offsite backup has the further
advantage of protecting you against location failure (the building
housing the computer burns down, floods, gets ground up in an
earthquake, etc).