silent keys

(resend, mistakenly left out the list cc the first time...)

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 18:15 -0500, Tom Metro wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Most laptops, switching from 'us' or 'pc105' to 'us+inet' or 'pc105
> > +inet' will enable the bulk of additional keys.
>
> Inet or international? I didn't see any inet option.

inet.

For example:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

I'm reasonably sure it used to be '"XkbLayout" "us+inet"', but appears
the new hotness is to keep layout as 'us', but set the model to "pc105
+inet", since its really a more accurate way to describe it (I guess).

> > If not, it could be some goofy keys that require special handling in
> > ACPI (which isn't uncommon).
>
> You mean like a key normally intended to control the sleep/wake state of
> the machine?

Those, vol+/-, web browser back/forward/reload, pause, play, etc.

> No, I don't think that's applicable to the keys I'm
> interested in. They are located next to the arrow keys, one having a
> Euro symbol on it, and the other a dollar sign. I've never seen such
> keys on a keyboard before, and I have no idea why you'd want such keys
> next to the arrow keys (I could see them being useful as part of the
> number pad).

Yeah, okay, I've got no clue on those ones...

> It feels like I need to go a layer down to see what's going on. Is there
> a tool that will let me see the raw keyboard data from the kernel
> outside of X? Maybe a /proc or /sys file that can be viewed? I saw the
> showkey command, but it looks like it operates at a layer after keymaps,
> which won't help if it is the mapping that is the problem.

Hrm... Does xev help shed any light at all? If its a usb-connected
keyboard, might be possible to get some info out of the hidraw driver
too... (grasping at straws. ;)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org