Cheapest way to backup data

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 1:34 PM, 100ji wrote:
> > 1) having your own raid.
> > 2) Store it on the cloud.
> > 3) Pool free storage (gmail, free online storage etc..)
>
> RAID isn't data integrity.  It is media integrity.

Hmm, is this the property of all raid levels though? What about raid 6 where
there is a parity bit set which can be used to recover the data? I read some
pages on raid and I am unable to confirm that RAID only provides data
integrity. Probably the performance sucks, but that's a trade off.

> Cloud and free pool have shown lack of data integrity.

Doesn't the data integrity depend on the software we use?
For example, can't the software we use ensure that the data is redundant
enough that I can recover the whole data even if say 25% of the my data is
lost? Isn't there such a software?

-S-